Cooperation and Development Network Eastern Europe (CDN) is a capacity-building network of youth organisations committed to the development and implementation of Green ideas in Eastern Europe. CDN gathers 18 member and 6 partner organisations – youth wings of Green parties and NGOs whose work is rooted in Green values. CDN’s political focus is on Eastern Europe where the organisation works with local partners. CDN also collaborates with organisations and activists from the rest of Europe who want to support a Green Eastern Europe.Background
After the fall of the Iron Curtain in Eastern Europe, this region has faced great problems with the transformation of their societies towards modern democracy and human rights principles. The burden from the Communist era has remained a significant obstacle to way of thinking and created number of problems escalating nationalism and hate.
At the beginning of the 21st century young people still have very little influence on changes in society despite the fact that they are not only a fundamental part of society, but also very important actors of change. Therefore for any grass-roots changes in the east there is a higher need for direct participation of young people in society. The most significant problem is that both the current establishment, be it former communist or modern western, and the political structures prevent young people from having real power.
Youth is not seen as an active and equal actor on political, social, cultural and economic spheres: It is considered as “future” in shiny speech, but never as “present”. Young people are excluded from decision-making process; they are asked to be object in the society, and never the subject.
We regard youth as having a crucial, active and direct role to play in the development of a sustainable and democratic society. This role puts great demand on co-learning, share of knowledge and experiences, and active collaboration for young people, especially on international and inter-cultural levels.
CDN is founded as an answer for this need in 2002. With an active collaboration and support of FYEG and Green Forum Sweden, CDN is now a network of Young Greens in Eastern Europe which supports the Young Green organisations in the region. CDN is focused on but not limited to study sessions, seminars, summer camps and other regular co-learning activities among constant communication and collaboration between its member organisations.(From CDN Political Platform )
The association is without commercial goals and aims at:
- Promoting ecology (in the broad sense of the term: the environment, social and political ecology) and sustainability among European young people, using all available non-violent means
- Encouraging the realisation of studies and reflections in different forms on ecology (in the broad sense of the term) by young democratic people from all over Europe with focus on Eastern Europe (European Non EU countries)
- Gathering young people living in different European nations, recognising and promoting the dialogue on regional and national differences
- Co-ordinating common actions of member organisations toward development and cooperation among young people and groups in Europe aiming to bring European nations closer together.
- Promoting common green political aims on international level.
- Protecting human rights, minority rights, gender equality and democracy as well as democratic ways of working yes
- Promoting sustainable development in Eastern Europe
(Decided by delegates of CDN Network Meeting, 21. June 2003, Ohrid, Macedonia, Amended by delegates of CDN Network Meeting, 28. May 2005, Bitola, Macedonia)