CDN, the digital [x] working group and Youth movement Revolt are announcing a call for members of the international preparatory team for the seminar “Digitised security – How to read the surveillance discourse and fight it!”. It will take place from 24 – 30 April 2017 in Bosnia. It was inspired by a digital [x] webinar that looked at the political reactions sparked by the terrorist attacks in Paris and how the tension between security and freedom was framed by agenda setters. A year later, censorship and mass surveillance are becoming the norm, and we want to fight this: we want to change the discourse to achieve better policy and give everyone the tools to protect their freedom even in hostile environments.
We are in searching for young people who are passionate about digital rights and the values of the Green movement, coming from Council of Europe member states, Belarus, Kosovo* and Kazakhstan. Do you want to help build a bigger movement? Do you think digital rights are tightly connected to other social and personal rights? Then this is for you!
DEADLINE for submitting online applications: 2 January 2017 at midnight (CET).
The main responsibilities of the prep-team are:
- Active participation in the regular on-line meetings prior the event;
- Full participation in one in-person preparatory meeting from 3 to 5 February 2017 (2 full working days) in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina;
- Preparation of a call and selection of participants, preparation of participants for the event and providing them with all the necessary information regarding the program;
- Preparation and implementation of the seminar programme; Invitation and communication with speakers, experts, trainers and partners in accordance with the project aims;
- Help with the promotion of the event and ensuring media visibility;
- Taking care of practicalities and for well-being of the participants;
- Full participation during the entire event, 24 to 30 April 2017; and prep team meeting before and after
- Help with the reporting of the study session.
Being a prep-team member at CDN event would offer you:
- Working in a lively international environment;
- Experience in managing youth projects – preparation, implementation and reporting;
- Getting familiar with Green values and CDN work;
- Getting to know local digital rights organisations and their work;
- A possibility to develop your leadership skills and group work;
- A lot of work and a lot of fun!
Prep-team members should:
- Speak English (you should be able to clearly express yourself both orally and in writing).
- Be willing to take on a challenge;
- Be responsible about fulfilling their tasks and help the rest of the group;
- Have good organisational skills;
- Be a good team player;
- Be committed to the aims of the project;
- Be familiar with non-formal education methods.
- Live preparatory meeting in Sarajevo (3 – 5 February)
- Online work on preparatory tasks and program (January – April)
- Final preparatory meeting (22 – 23 April 2017)
- The seminar in Bosnia (24 – 30 April 2017)
- Evaluation meeting after the seminar (1 -2 May 2017)
- Help with reporting of the event (May – July 2017)
- Follow-up work (May – July 2017)
Accommodation, food, working space, travel and visa costs for preparatory team will be fully covered. For selection of travel means the condition is to combine the most economic and environmentally friendly way (lowest price + travel time + CO2 emissions).
Image by Tom Blackwell (Creative Commons BY -NC)
* All reference to Kosovo, whether to the territory, institutions or population, in this text shall be understood in full compliance with the United Nations Security Council Resolutions 1244 and without prejudice to the status of Kosovo.